Wednesday, March 8, 2017

My Time in Durham, North Carolina

Last week, I spent a few days with my dad's side of the family in Durham, North Carolina. On the way to and from Durham, my parents and I stayed overnight at the Holiday Inn Express in Hardeeville, South Carolina. I was impressed with our room because it appeared to be designed for a wheelchair user. The thermostat, outlets, microwave, and refrigerator were all at a height I could reach. As common with accessible hotel rooms, there was a grab bar by the toilet in the bathroom and ample room for me to maneuver in my power chair.

While in Durham, my parents and I stayed in an accessible room at SpringHill Suites by Marriott. The tables in the breakfast area contained middle posts, making it difficult for me to sit underneath them with my wheelchair. This was also the case at the Holiday Inn Express. Our first night in Durham, my family and I had dinner in nearby Cary at Tribeca Tavern, which I had to enter through the back door because the front entrance wasn't accessible. I also had to go through the back door to get to the elevator in my uncle's apartment building. My family and I visited the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences, which was very interesting. The entrance ramp and elevator enabled me to see all three floors of the museum.

The ADA compliance in the establishments I visited made my North Carolina trip more enjoyable. Traveling is possible with a wheelchair.

No comments:

Post a Comment