Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Nassau and Charlotte Amalie: Accessible Ports of Call?

Image result for nassau and charlotte amalie
Nassau and Charlotte Amalie on a map
(image via mackruizai.lt)

Last week, I went on a Royal Caribbean cruise with my family for the second year in a row. I was excited partly because the cruise included two ports of call to which I hadn't been before: Nassau (the capital of the Bahamas) on New Providence Island and Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas (the capital of the United States Virgin Islands). Getting off the ship wasn't difficult; the ports themselves were wheelchair accessible with no steps. While they looked aged, the sidewalks were flat enough with cracked curb cuts on street corners. Shopping for souvenirs was a little challenging for me because the aisles in stores were narrow. I didn't stray too far from the ship, so my awareness of the handicap accessibility of Nassau and Charlotte Amalie is limited. For more comprehensive reviews of these two locations, you can go to https://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/nassau-bahamas-disabled-access#.XFszhPlKh1s and https://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/st-thomas-usvi-disabled-access#.XFsz3PlKh1s. They make Nassau and Charlotte Amalie sound like good destinations for wheelchair users.

My dad and I in Nassau, Bahamas
(photo by Tracy Jensen-McGrath)

No comments:

Post a Comment