Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Grandparents' Impact on Special Needs Children

Today's post is dedicated to my maternal grandmother (Nana) Shirley Jensen, who passed away from cancer at age 83 last Friday. Grandparents play an important role in a family with a special needs kid. Borrowed from a Her View from Home article by Sara Borgstede, below is a list of tips on how you can be a wonderful grandparent to a child with a disability:

  1. Accept your special needs grandchild's diagnosis.
  2. Have faith in your child's ability to parent.
  3. Be open to different ways of parenting and grandparenting.
  4. Help your child with your grandchild whenever you can.
  5. Love your grandchild unconditionally.
  6. Celebrate your grandchild's successes.

My Nana (who lived 15 miles from my parents and me for more than 30 years) did all of the above, making my childhood with disability more pleasant. She was always one of my biggest supporters. Life without Nana won't be the same, but she wouldn't want me to mourn her for long. Therefore, I intend to continue living with a zest for life, which she taught me to do. For more information about grandparents' impact on special needs children, go to https://herviewfromhome.com/an-open-letter-to-grandparents-of-kids-with-special-needs/. Grandparents Day falls on September 8 this year.

My Nana and I
(Photo by Tracy Jensen-McGrath)

6 comments:

  1. What a joy to have had each other in this life. Blessings all around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is great! He knew exactly what he was doing and how much you BOTH were blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Linda. Thank you for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  3. So informative and important. I’m sorry for your loss. You are who you are, in part, because of your grandmother. Nice article!!

    ReplyDelete