Monday, April 6, 2020

Birthday Celebrations During the Coronavirus Outbreak

Today is my 34th birthday. I'm not celebrating it with anyone other than my parents because of social distancing due to the coronavirus outbreak. However, I'm feeling the love from relatives and friends who have sent me cards, called me, and posted birthday wishes on Facebook. Keeping in mind the increasing number of coronavirus deaths, I'm thankful for another year of life.

Some people are celebrating their birthdays in creative ways. For example, virtual birthday parties are being held on Zoom, an application that enables people from all over the world to have online meetings. They can see each other through their webcams. I sometimes use Zoom for work. (To download Zoom onto your computer and use its basic features for free, go to https://zoom.us/.)

Another trending birthday celebration is the drive-by party (parade) during which relatives and friends in their vehicles pass by someone's house while holding signs, playing music, and/or waving and yelling out birthday wishes. Visitors can leave a cake and gifts by the birthday boy or girl's front door.

These ideas are applicable to people with disabilities if parties are challenging for them. For more quarantine birthday celebration ideas, go to https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/us/coronavirus-birthday-party.html.

I celebrating my birthday at home
(Photo by Tracy Jensen-McGrath)

2 comments: