Sunday, February 23, 2020

Undergoing an MRI Scan with Physical Disabilities

Two days ago, I went to the Melbourne (Florida) location of University Center Imaging (which is celebrating its 25th anniversary) for a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scan. The purpose of this procedure was to get a more detailed picture of a cyst in my abdomen. (The cyst is most likely non-cancerous, but to be on the safe side, I wanted to confirm this.) As a person with physical disabilities, having an MRI is challenging for me, but it was manageable with assistance from my dad and the imaging staff members' patience. While I was in a pre-exam room, one of the staff members told me I'd have to be transferred from my motorized wheelchair to an MRI-safe wheelchair. This wasn't necessary because my dad was able to carry me to the MRI table, but I wasn't aware of MRI-safe wheelchairs. They look similar to regular manual wheelchairs but are made of non-magnetic and non-ferromagnetic parts.

Before I went to the MRI room, an intravenous (IV) line was inserted into my left hand for an injection of contrast material, which makes images brighter and clearer. (Getting an IV isn't easy for me because my veins aren't very accessible.) If you're claustrophobic or your disability makes it difficult for you to stay still for more than a few minutes, you'll need to take a sedative before the MRI scan takes place. My dad placed me on the MRI table, and the technologists made final preparations. The movable table took me into the tube-like MRI machine. In an effort to stay relaxed, I kept my eyes closed during the scan, which took more than 30 minutes. Every once in a while, the table suddenly moved, and I often heard noises from the machine, but listening to country music through a headphone made the experience more pleasant.

An MRI scan is recommended for examining tumors and other abnormalities in your body. However, you shouldn't do this if you have certain metals in your body because the magnetic field would move them, possibly leading to internal damage. Verify with your doctor and the technologist that the metals inside you are MRI-safe. For more information, go to https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/mri/about/pac-20384768.

Image result for mri machine
An MRI machine
(image via 4rai.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment