Sunday, May 10, 2020

Applying for Disability Benefits

If you have an impairment, you may be eligible for disability benefits. I recently applied for Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) for the purpose of being enrolled in Medicare. (People under age 65 may be eligible for Medicare if they have disabilities.) A couple of weeks before submitting my application, I spoke with a Social Security Administration (SSA) representative on the phone for about an hour. He asked me questions about my disabilities and sources of income. A few days after the phone conversation, I received the SSDI application in the mail. Along with my completed form, I had to send pay stubs from the past four months at my current job. I was told it might be three months before I find out if I'm eligible for SSDI.

If you believe you qualify for disability benefits, you can apply today for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) as well as SSDI online. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, Social Security offices are closed. If your application is denied, you can file an appeal. For more information, go to https://www.ssa.gov/.


Social Security Administration - Home | Facebook
SSA logo
(image via facebook.com)

2 comments: